In recent months, there has been a lot of talk on the internet about artificial intelligence, neural networks and chatbots based on large language models like ChatGPT. However, many people bypass the topic of online dating, where AI has already been used for a fairly long time quite successfully.
We decided to fix this injustice and tell you about how artificial intelligence is already helping users of dating services to find true love today. However sometimes, on the contrary, it makes it difficult to do this…
How dating services use artificial intelligence and why it does not always have a positive effect
Technically, artificial intelligence in dating apps is implemented for the sole purpose of helping find partners for a person more accurately and quickly.
In the past, the algorithms behind dating sites and apps were quite simple, even primitive. The system, for example, could simply look for people with the same interests or similar answers in the questionnaire that the person filled out during registration. Yes, sometimes it also offered results, but not always. Some people added false interests to their profiles, while others chose more positive answers in the questionnaire rather than expressing how they actually felt. As a result, matches on dating sites often turned out to be completely inappropriate.
However, with the development of artificial intelligence, a lot has changed…
For example, popular dating apps such as Tinder, Badoo, and OkCupid are already using AI to analyze not only the information provided by the user, but also the behavior of the user on the site. The system learns to better understand a person, forms a virtual portrait of them, and even more accurately selects matches for them.
The problem is that artificial intelligence is still far from perfect in the real world. And it’s very naive to believe that the presence of AI in your favorite dating app guarantees you a promising meeting.
Also, failures and inaccuracies in the AI algorithms can have the exact opposite effect — recommending you completely inappropriate users and not giving you the opportunity to meet those who really could be a great match for you.
Overall, AI in dating services offers not only extra opportunities, but, unfortunately also additional restrictions…
What about those who don’t want to put themselves into a box because of AI?
This is an interesting question!
If you want to get access to the widest possible circle of acquaintances, we recommend you first change your approach to dating. For example, you could move from classic dating sites and apps to a video chat format like Omegle.
AI is also often used on such communication platforms. But in most cases, it is aimed at detecting inappropriate behavior by users and blocking them. This is very useful and in no way limits your communication.
For our part, we recommend the following alternatives to Omegle:
- OmeTV — minimalist video chat with gender and geographic filters, as well as a good built-in translator for easy communication.
- OmegleTV — user-friendly and versatile alternative to Ome TV with girls, the main advantage of which is a gender filter that works flawlessly. Plus the built-in message translator will allow you to communicate easily with people all over the world. OmegleTV also has a great support service.
- Omega — video chat with a gender filter. There is no huge variety of features here, but the site has a pretty large and active audience.
- Camsurf — a very popular alternative to Omegle, which offers users a gender filter and a search for people by interest. Paid subscribers can hide their location, show a verification badge to other users, use an introductory message, and more.
- Hoop on OMG — random chat with a gender filter that allows you to meet people almost all over the world.
- JusTalk — convenient alternative to Omegle for those who want to get to know each other and communicate not only face-to-face, but also in group chat. This function is implemented quite usably here.
- ChatRandom — an alternative to Omegle, the main difference of which is the presence of themed “rooms” in which many participants can communicate at the same time. There are rooms for a variety of interests.
- Holla — quite a popular video chat with a bright design for smartphones. Other than that, it’s a classic no-frills alternative to Omegle.
Some might say that video chat services are generally less technologically advanced than modern dating apps. This is partly true. But the fact is that this simplicity is exactly the main advantage of such sites. No algorithms limit you or artificially narrow your potential social circle. AI is used here only to protect you from negative experiences, scammers and problem users.
If you prefer classic dating sites and apps, we recommend you first study information about their algorithms and functionality. Some of them may not suit you at all.
How else dating services use artificial intelligence, and what will happen to them next
Perhaps one of the most striking examples of the use of AI by online dating services is the Snack application. The user can create their own virtual avatar here, which learns by interacting with its “owner”. The more you train it, the more it becomes like you.
The most interesting thing is that this virtual avatar can get acquainted with the avatars of other users. That is, instead of living people, their “virtual copies” get acquainted, and if such an acquaintance is successful, the owners of these avatars will be able to communicate in person. The developers want to allow avatars to go on virtual dates in the metaverse soon.
The technology is definitely interesting and original, but how efficient is it? The opinions of experts differ. Some say that such ideas are doomed to failure, because no AI is capable of replacing a human. Others believe that Snack may well become a revolutionary dating application that will change the very idea of modern dating.
Now it is very difficult to predict what path online dating will take in even just the next year. It’s completely pointless to talk about more distant futures, as everything could change drastically by then.
In any case, one thing is clear — online dating is definitely not going anywhere. But it will surely change, improve and offer more and more new ways to find your love. Therefore, we recommend that you follow any updates from the world of dating and don’t miss anything interesting.