Lutetium-177 therapy: There is still an opportunity to get cancer under control for patients with stage 4 prostate cancer when standard treatments no longer work. German hospitals use radiotargeted Lutetium-177 therapy. On the Booking Health website, you can find out how much Lutetium treatment costs in Germany and compare prices at different hospitals. On our website, you can find the best clinics for treatment of prostate cancer that use advanced methods.
What is Lutetium-177 therapy?
Lutetium PSMA PET in Germany is used in almost all large Cancer Centers. Until recently, it was an experimental method, but it has shown impressive results in clinical trials, so it is being used more and more often. So far, PSMA therapy is only used for advanced stages of prostate cancer when other methods fail to be effective. However, clinical trials that may extend the indications for the procedure are already ongoing. It is expected that in the future, Lutetium-177 treatment will be used as a first-line therapy and could also help patients with early stages of prostate cancer.
The essence of Lutetium-177 prostate cancer treatment is as follows:
- Doctors inject the radiopharmaceutical agent into the patient’s body intravenously. It consists of a ligand and a radionuclide.
- The ligands can attach to PSMA (prostate-specific membrane antigen), which is present in cancer cells but absent in healthy tissues. This ensures the selectivity of the drug, which does not irradiate the whole body but only malignant tumors.
- A radioactive substance, usually Lutetium-177, is attached to the ligands. It is responsible for destroying the tumor. The ligands are only required to deliver the radionuclide to cancer cells.
- After a few days, during which a patient stays in the hospital, the radioactive substances are excreted from the body.
- After 4-8 weeks, the course of Lutetium-177 therapy is repeated. The treatment can be continued as long as it works. As a rule, good results can be achieved, and the size of the tumors is significantly reduced, or the neoplasms even disappear completely.
What is the cost of treatment?
The costs of Lutetium-177 prostate cancer treatment in Germany at different hospitals are approximately the same, varying by no more than 5-10%.
You can find out the exact cost of the procedure on the Booking Health website. The prices are specified separately for each hospital. Some medical centers offer discounts, but they are only available to patients who make an appointment for their treatment through the Booking Health service.
Even without discounts, the treatment is 40-70% cheaper if you use this service. This is due to the absence of additional coefficients for foreign patients.
When you choose a medical care program through Booking Health, you can be sure that the price of Lutetium for prostate cancer will not increase once the program begins. You will get insurance to cover unexpected medical expenses, for example, in the case of complications, as no cancer treatment is 100% risk-free.
On the Booking Health website, you can choose a hospital on your own or trust the professionals. You are welcome to leave your request, and our medical tourism specialists will contact you within a few hours. We will help you select the most suitable medical center that achieves the best results in treating prostate cancer. In addition, the Booking Health specialists will take care of all the arrangements for your trip. We will book a hotel room and airline tickets for you, meet you at the German airport, provide you with interpreting services, and help and support you throughout your stay abroad.