TFIGlobal
TFIGlobal
TFIPOST English
TFIPOST हिन्दी
No Result
View All Result
  • Indo-Pacific
  • Americas
  • Canada
  • Indian Subcontinent
  • West Asia
  • Europe
  • Africa
  • The Caribbean
TFIGlobal
  • Indo-Pacific
  • Americas
  • Canada
  • Indian Subcontinent
  • West Asia
  • Europe
  • Africa
  • The Caribbean
No Result
View All Result
TFIGlobal
TFIGlobal
No Result
View All Result
  • Indo-Pacific
  • Americas
  • Canada
  • Indian Subcontinent
  • West Asia
  • Europe
  • Africa
  • The Caribbean

Trump Orders Cuts US-South Korea Joint Military Drills, Citing Iran Snub and Kim Jong-un “Relationship”

Seoul says the exercises will go ahead regardless. But the order fits into a much larger shift in American strategy, one that quietly pushes South Korea down Washington's list of priorities.

Ashu Man by Ashu Man
August 17, 2026
in Indo-Pacific
Trump Orders Cuts US-South Korea Joint Military Drills, Citing Iran Snub and Kim Jong-un “Relationship”
Share on FacebookShare on X

President Donald Trump has ordered a sharp reduction in US-South Korea joint military exercises, announcing the decision just hours before this year’s drills were set to begin. He posted the move on Truth Social on Sunday, August 16, citing two reasons: the cost of the exercises and his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

Trump said it was too late to cancel the drills outright, so he instructed Secretary of War Pete Hegseth to “substantially reduce” them instead. He described the exercises as a signal that is “totally inappropriate and hostile” toward North Korea, adding that Pyongyang has been “unthreatening and respectful” throughout his presidency.

Also Read

No US Aircraft Carrier in Asia as Iran War Strains the Fleet

Trump Orders America’s First New Naval Shipyard in 80 Years as China’s Fleet Races Ahead

Report: CIA Ran Covert Drone Campaign Against Ecuadorian Fishing Boats Near Galápagos

Seoul did not back down. South Korea’s Defence Ministry said the exercise would proceed “as previously notified and scheduled.”

What’s Actually Being Cut

Ulchi Freedom Shield is scheduled to run from August 17 to 27, involving around 18,000 South Korean troops alongside American forces and personnel from 11 UN Command member states. The United States currently stations roughly 28,500 troops in South Korea.

This year’s exercise scenarios cover drones, GPS jamming, electronic warfare and cyberattacks. North Korean soldiers reportedly learned these tactics while fighting alongside Russian forces in Ukraine.

What “substantially reduce” actually means in practice remains unclear. As of Monday, South Korean commanders said they had received no specific request from Washington detailing the scope of the cuts.

An Iran Snub Behind the Decision

Trump drew the connection himself, writing that he had recently asked South Korean President Lee Jae Myung to join American efforts to denuclearise Iran — and that the response was a blunt “No thanks!”

The US war on Iran began on February 28. Since then, Trump has pressed allies and partners for air bases, warships to help reopen the Strait of Hormuz, and reconstruction funding. Most have refused.

Europe felt the fallout first — White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said NATO had “failed the test,” while the administration openly floated the idea of leaving the alliance. That same frustration has now reached Asia, this time translating into a concrete cut to joint military exercises with South Korea

Colby’s China Strategy Leaves Korea Off the Map

The timing is telling. Just six days earlier, Under Secretary of War for Policy Elbridge Colby outlined Washington’s Asia strategy in a speech in Manila. He described the US goal as seeking “partners, not protectorates.” His stated priority: building “a fully operational, resilient architecture of denial defence” stretching along the first island chain — running from Japan through Taiwan to the Philippines.

South Korea does not sit on that chain.

Colby’s roughly 4,000-word speech mentioned China only in passing. He framed the new approach as one of “realism” rather than moral confrontation with Beijing. The Pentagon underscored the shift in posture in June by renaming Indo-Pacific Command as Pacific Command.

The message to allies is unambiguous: do more locally, and free up American forces for a potential China contingency. On the Korean peninsula, this concept is known as “strategic flexibility”, an idea Seoul has resisted for years.

The Security Cost

Defence analysts warn the cuts carry real risk. Thinning out the drills “lowers coalition readiness and puts US forces at risk,” said Rear Admiral (Ret.) Mark Montgomery of the Foundation for Defense of Democracies.

North Korea, for its part, is not standing still — it fired ballistic missiles on August 6 and again on August 12, and has warned of an “overwhelming response” to the joint exercises.

There’s a quieter, longer-term problem too. These exercises also serve as the benchmark for transferring wartime operational control (OPCON) back to Seoul.

Combined drills allow the two allies to test South Korea’s readiness to lead its own defence. Fewer drills could slow certification as President Lee pushes to complete the handover within his term.

Yu Ji-hoon of the Korea Institute for Defense Analyses cautioned that repeated cuts could erode both combined military proficiency and the consistency of deterrence signalling toward Pyongyang.

Allies Take Note

The decision has already roiled South Korean politics.

The opposition People Power Party called it a security debacle. Lawmaker Na Kyung-won said the alliance, “forged in blood,” had been reduced to a matter of “cost and transactions.” In Washington, Democratic Senator Andy Kim objected to the process rather than the substance. He argued that allies should jointly make decisions on military exercises rather than see them announced unilaterally on social media. Leif-Eric Easley of Ewha Womans University warned the move would “damage alliance coordination.”

The reaction extends beyond the peninsula. Southeast Asian governments had already begun recalibrating after Colby’s tour of the region. The USS George Washington recently departed for the Middle East. Its departure has left the Pacific without an American aircraft carrier covering the region.

A Familiar Pattern

This isn’t the first time Trump has scaled back military drills with South Korea.

After the 2018 Singapore summit with Kim, he suspended Ulchi Freedom Guardian. In 2019, the allies scrapped Key Resolve and Foal Eagle altogether. Diplomacy subsequently collapsed at the 2019 Hanoi summit. Large-scale exercises only resumed in 2022 — while North Korea, throughout, kept its weapons programme intact.

 

Tags: Donald TrumpElbridge Colby first island chainIndo-Pacific SecurityKim Jong-unNorth Korea policyUlchi Freedom Shield 2026US-South Korea joint military exercises
ShareTweetSend
Ashu Man

Ashu Man

Ashu Mann is an Associate Fellow at the Centre for Land Warfare Studies. He was awarded the Vice Chief of the Army Staff Commendation card on Army Day 2025. He is pursuing a PhD from Amity University, Noida, in Defence and Strategic Studies. His research focuses include the India-China territorial dispute, great power rivalry, and Chinese foreign policy.

Also Read

The Gatekeeper’s Secret: US Bans Professor Tao Li Over China Talent Plan Ties

The Gatekeeper’s Secret: US Bans Professor Tao Li Over China Talent Plan Ties

August 16, 2026
650 Feet From the Oval Office: CCP Intelligence Figure Buys Building Overlooking the White House

650 Feet From the Oval Office: CCP Intelligence Figure Buys Building Overlooking the White House

August 15, 2026
US–Japan Deep Sea Mine to Break China’s Rare Earth Grip

US–Japan Deep Sea Mine to Break China’s Rare Earth Grip

August 13, 2026
China, Indonesia Hold First Joint Naval Drill East of Taiwan

China, Indonesia Hold First Joint Naval Drill East of Taiwan

August 13, 2026
Steering by Starlight: China Teaches Its Hypersonic Weapons an Ancient Trick

Steering by Starlight: China Teaches Its Hypersonic Weapons an Ancient Trick

August 13, 2026
Chinese National Arrested in Saipan Over US Military Modem Plot

Chinese National Arrested in Saipan Over US Military Modem Plot

August 13, 2026
Youtube Twitter Facebook
TFIGlobalTFIGlobal
Right Arm. Round the World. FAST.
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • TFIPOST – English
  • TFIPOST हिन्दी
  • Careers
  • Brand Partnerships
  • Terms of use
  • Privacy Policy

©2026 - TFI MEDIA PRIVATE LIMITED

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Indo-Pacific
  • Americas
  • Canada
  • Indian Subcontinent
  • West Asia
  • Europe
  • Africa
  • The Caribbean
TFIPOST English
TFIPOST हिन्दी

©2026 - TFI MEDIA PRIVATE LIMITED

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. View our Privacy and Cookie Policy.