TFIGlobal
TFIGlobal
TFIPOST English
TFIPOST हिन्दी
No Result
View All Result
  • Indo-Pacific
  • Americas
  • Canada
  • Indian Subcontinent
  • West Asia
  • Europe
  • Africa
  • The Caribbean
TFIGlobal
  • Indo-Pacific
  • Americas
  • Canada
  • Indian Subcontinent
  • West Asia
  • Europe
  • Africa
  • The Caribbean
No Result
View All Result
TFIGlobal
TFIGlobal
No Result
View All Result
  • Indo-Pacific
  • Americas
  • Canada
  • Indian Subcontinent
  • West Asia
  • Europe
  • Africa
  • The Caribbean

Australia begins cracking down on social media giants after what they did to Donald Trump

Akshay Narang by Akshay Narang
January 12, 2021
in Geopolitics
Australia, Trump
Share on FacebookShare on X

The big tech’s shocking decision to boot out Trump is drawing criticism across the world. And now, Australia has also started to crack down on social media giants. 

Australia’s Acting Prime Minister Michael McCormack has rebuked Twitter for banning US President Donald Trump. Australia’s Treasurer Josh Frydenberg also said that he was “uncomfortable” with Twitter’s decision to ban Trump. Meanwhile, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has suggested enactment of clearer rules for deciding what content is acceptable on social media. 

Also Read

US Warns Ukraine of ‘Imminent Defeat,’ Pushes Kyiv Toward Peace Deal: Report

The Ukraine Aid Audit Clause That Terrified Zelenskyy—And Forced His Sudden YES to Trump’s Peace Plan

EU Rejects Trump’s Peace Plan. Why Europe’s Leaders Just Chose More War Over Bitter Peace ?

McCormack, who is acting as the Australian Prime Minister while Scott Morrison takes to leave this week, told ABC radio that it was not up to Big Tech to decide whose voices were heard.

“I don’t believe in that sort of censorship,” McCormack added.

And then, the Acting Australian Prime Minister also said, “There’s been a lot of people who have said and done a lot of things on Twitter previously that haven’t received that sort of condemnation or indeed censorship.” 

McCormack was referring to Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian. Last month, the Chinese spokesperson tweeted a doctored image of an Australian soldier smiling and slitting the throat of a young child. The fake news was openly disseminated on Twitter by Lijian. 

The tweet still remains pinned at the top of Chinese spokesperson’s official handle. Twitter hasn’t even bothered to take down the hateful tweet, let alone banning Lijian. 

https://twitter.com/zlj517/status/1333214766806888448?s=20

The Acting PM of Australia said, “Now, that has not been taken down, and that is wrong. If you’re going to take down Donald Trump’s Twitter feed, then think very carefully and closely about also taking down that photo, which should have been taken down weeks ago.”

But Twitter is hardly the only social media giant facing accusations of hypocrisy for restricting Trump’s profiles. Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat have all imposed temporary bans on Trump. Google, Apple and Amazon have also cut off Parler, a social media platform popular amongst Trump supporters. Parler CEO John Matze, however, said there was a double standard at play.

“Twitter let ‘Hang Mike Pence’ trend the same day Parler was banned from Google … the double standard is obvious,” Matze told The Epoch Times.

Australia however won’t let social media giants get away easily. The ACCC- Australia’s competition watchdog, has been working extensively to rein in the power of Google and Facebook in Australia. It is even implementing a Code that will compel both the companies to pay news media publishers for content. 

Now, Australia also seems concerned about the unfettered powers of social media giants, when it comes to censoring expression of free speech on their platforms. ACCC Chairman Rod Sims even said that political leaders faced a “defining question” when it comes to controlling online content. 

Meanwhile, Queensland Member for Parliament George Christensen has started an online petition in response to the ban.

“We ask that, as a matter of urgency, you (Communications Minister Paul Fletcher) legislate to ensure Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and other social media platforms can no longer ban, censor, suspend, “fact-check” or shadowban users for posting content which is lawful in Australia,” the petition read.

Australia’s Federal Parliament is presently preparing itself to debate on draft laws for taking down “abhorrent violent” material on the internet. Now, the Australia government may bring in a law to decide what content stats online and what gets deleted. Also, it can decide who stays on a social media platform and who gets booted out. 

Canberra knows how to stand up for free speech, and therefore it has started cracking down on the big tech after what it did to Donald Trump. 

Tags: AustraliaShort takesTrumpTwitter
ShareTweetSend
Akshay Narang

Akshay Narang

Patriot, Political Analyst, International Relations expert

Also Read

Zelensky in Crisis: Yermak Resigns After Corruption Raid Inside Kyiv’s Presidential Office

Beginning of the end! Zelensky Faces His Most Dangerous Crisis Yet as Chief of Staff Andrii Yermak Resigns Amid Corruption Raids

November 29, 2025
Europe Scrambles for Influence After Trump’s Ukraine Peace Plan Leak Shocks Allies

Europe Scrambles for Influence After Trump’s Ukraine Peace Plan Leak Shocks Allies

November 28, 2025
Russian Foreign intelligence confirms that NATO and Ukraine are paying millions of dollars in south America and Philippines to recruit locals and send to Kyiv via Germany

Russian Foreign intelligence confirms that NATO and Ukraine are paying millions of dollars in south America and Philippines to recruit locals and send to Kyiv via Germany

November 28, 2025
US Probes Missing $48 Billion Ukraine Aid: Zelensky and EU Leaders Under Spotlight

US Probes Missing $48 Billion Ukraine Aid: Zelensky and EU Leaders Under Spotlight

November 27, 2025
Putin Sets New Conditions for Ending Ukraine War, Dismisses Claims of Plans to Attack Europe

Putin Sets New Conditions for Ending Ukraine War, Dismisses Claims of Plans to Attack Europe

November 27, 2025
Russia Calls Witkoff Call Leak “Hybrid Warfare”: Who Leaked It, Why, and the Hidden Battle to Block Peace

Russia Calls Witkoff Call Leak “Hybrid Warfare”: Who Leaked It, Why, and the Hidden Battle to Block Peace

November 27, 2025
Youtube Twitter Facebook
TFIGlobalTFIGlobal
Right Arm. Round the World. FAST.
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • TFIPOST – English
  • TFIPOST हिन्दी
  • Careers
  • Brand Partnerships
  • Terms of use
  • Privacy Policy

©2025 - TFI MEDIA PRIVATE LIMITED

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Indo-Pacific
  • Americas
  • Canada
  • Indian Subcontinent
  • West Asia
  • Europe
  • Africa
  • The Caribbean
TFIPOST English
TFIPOST हिन्दी

©2025 - TFI MEDIA PRIVATE LIMITED

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. View our Privacy and Cookie Policy.